Thursday, June 22, 2006

Stoli Dog Update

This is the infamous Stoli Dog. He appears to be feeling a bit better. It's nice to see his personality (as annoying as it can be) coming back. But...there's always a but.

I went to pick up the second antibiotic today and insisted on seeing the Dr. not just one of his techs. The techs don't really know anything, except how to read the Dr.'s writing. I know this because they could tell me what the Dr. had written in the file, but not what any of it ment. My favorite comment today was this exchange...

Tech: His levels are elevated.

Me: What does that mean?

Tech: That all of the levels they tests are high.

At this point I wanted to scream that I knew what the word elevated ment, I don't know what that means for the dog.

Anyway, I was a bit on edge this morning I guess. So, I wait to see the vet. He was in an emergency surgery. A dog had been attacked by a coyote. Which in and of itself is strange to me...I live in Anaheim, the vet is in Fullerton, but that situation is fodder fro another blog entry. So, I waited.

When I finally saw the Dr. it wasn't Dr. G from Monday, it was the other Dr. G (to be known as Dr. G2). He was a little short with me, but it was a busy day for him. He actually showed my numbers and explained things a bit. And all in all he thinks it is Liver Disease. The results from the added blood test will make the final determination regarding the pancreatitis.

He at least had a bit more solid information. He said wait for those results to come back and see what they say. He said based on that his most likely recommendation is an ultrasound and biopsy to the liver, which is non-evasive. I told him one of my big concerns is getting this stuff taken care of before I leave in two weeks...for CHINA!!!! Can't take care of a dog from another country and I don't want M to have to deal with too much of it (although this morning as I tried to explain to him what was going on, through my tears, he told me he would do what he needed to do. He's a great guy, again stuff for another entry). Dr. G2 seemed to think the two weeks was plenty of time for us to get everything figured out.

The only thing that really bothered me was that he wouldn't tell me a prognosis or course of treatment for either case. It has me really worried about how bad it might be.

Which brings up a really big question....How much money am I willing to invest in this. Where do I draw the line? Do I refinance my house and take out equity to finance treatment (I know someone who did this)? Do I take the cheap route? Do I put the dog down (not top on my list, I kinda like the maniac)?

Where do you draw the line with a pet? Even if you consider the pet a part of the family.

No comments: