Monday, January 09, 2006

Big Interview

I have decided that just teaching drama isn't enough for me. I want to be the Activities Director. Our current AD has taken a position as an AP (assistant principal in educator speak) at the middle school. I have an interview on Wednesday for the job and I am a total wreck already. I really want this, but have no idea how to prepare, no idea what they are going to ask and no idea what they are looking for.

My only saving grace is that I know who is on the interview panel and that at least 3 of them really like me. Although I know that one of them is afraid I will leave the Theatre Program all together and they like the direction I am taking it.

Other teachers have asked me why I would want the job. It's a lot of work, it involves working really closely with the kids and being able to plan and organize. Working closely with the kids is what I love about my job. I am happiest when I am in a heavy rehearsal or tech day and am working with kids on a level that is very differnt from working with the kids in class. I live the raport I can develop with them in these situations and how I can affect their lives in a different way, not just as a teacher but as a mentor and a friend. I don't get that same kind of satisfaction from teaching English (although I really do enjoy doing it, everything except reading essays, which is what I should be doing right now).

I know I may know get the job, there are three other teachers at the school interviewing, one I know won't get it, the other two may have a better shot because they are in athletics, but I don't know for sure. I know I will still love my job even if I don't get the position, I just know I would be really got at it.

No comments: