Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Back to the grind

After enjoying a two week break from school, which was too packed full of fun, we return to the classroom. The students don't really seem all that rejuvinated...although, I feel full of energy and am ready to go. I was very surprised at the number of absences during these past two days. You would think that after two weeks off the kids could make it to school, but I guess not.

Progress reports went out over the break and the emails regarding student grades have been pouring in. I planned to spend my conference cleaning my desk and in box, but will instead respond to parents and give them the skinny on their respective student's progress.

I am constantly amazed at the fact that students don't seem to understand that they have to turn in their work to get a good grade. When I asked the class how many of them wanted to pass all hands went up, but when asked how many felt they were passing, almost all the hands went back down. I know what the problem is, RESPONSIBILITY - the kids don't take responsibility for anything. They seem to think that they can sit and be nice to me and get a good grade. We had a long chat about that yesterday. Hopefully it does the trick and I can pick up these grades in the next four weeks.

So, now it is off to teach some English!

1 comment:

DISCOM said...

#1 - I AM SCARED TO EVEN LEAVE A COMMENT SINCE YOU ARE AN ENGLISH TEACHER. BUT I WILL....

#2 - I WISH WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL THAT TEACHERS HAD SAT US DOWN AND EXPLAINED HOW IMPORTANT IS WAS TO TURN IN ALL OF OUR WORK... IT TOOK ME ALONG TIME TO UNDERSTAND THAT JUST NOT TURNING IN ONE LITTLE PAPER HAD A MAJOR EFFECT ON MY GRADES...
THEN AGAIN HIND SIGHT IS ALWAYS 20/20 ONCE YOU ARE OUT OF SCHOOL.