Friday, July 28, 2006

Some more on China

Okay, I know I'm giving you China in tiny bits at a time...but there's a lot to tell. Like, after visiting China I will never, and I mean NEVER, complain about a public rest room again (and that includes beach bathrooms, and those who visit the beach often know what I mean).

The public rest rooms in China have got to be the worst on the planet. If there are worse one's I don't think I want to visit there.

First off they use these funky squat toilets.

Not too big of a deal, except for the few days following the Great Wall. I had trouble getting off a chair, so squatting was out. There was usually one "western" toilet in each public "toilet" (yes, they don't have rest rooms, they gave toilets).

Second, most of the time there wasn't any paper provided. So, I spent a lot of time rolling mini-rolls in my hotel rooms (which, thankfully, had western style toilets).

Third, the sinks were usually in a little area between the men's and women's. Not that I mind sharing, but (fourth problem) the stench was enough to kill an elephant. I really don't think they ever clean them. There was one that looked nice, but the smell wafted out about 40 - 50 feet from the entrance. I thought I was going to pass out, but had no choice, the next chance would be 2-3 hours later.

This really was my only issue with China. Like I said before...I had a great time! I recommend it to anyone...In fact if your interested I could hook you up with the travel group I went with. It's a great deal, and big ole' bucket of fun.

Note: the picture was taken in a restaurant...just as this lovely Chinese woman walked in.

1 comment:

soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Okay seriously...you are supposed to go #2 in a squatting position? I cannot even imagine how that would turn out.