Monday, July 24, 2006

The Great Wall



On my first full day in China one of the many things we did was visit the Great Wall. This was one of the highlights of the trip. To walk on a structure that was built before the US existed was so amazing. And to think of the fact that they didn't have the technology available today...WOW!

The climb was a bit difficult. The steps were very rustic and did not follow a standard rise/tread pattern. So you might have several normal size steps then one huge step. This really wasn't a problem on the way up...but on the way down, whoa! The grade of the climb was also very steep, again not bad going up, very scary going down.

If given the chance I would totally climb the wall again. In fact if we would have had more time, I would have climbed higher. I may not have made it to the top, but I can say that I made it high enough to be considered a hero, according to our guide, Richard.

The views from the wall were spectacular! I could not believe how green China is. It is greatly attributed to the humidity. And let me tell you, was it humid.




The tower we climbed to is just below the one you see in the center top. They kind of blend together.







Here is a picture of the group of us who actually made it to this level. If we look drippy it's because we just climb a bucket load of stairs in 90 degree weather with at least 90% humidity. We were drippy, but it was so worth it.

No comments: