Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Collaboration

As a drama teacher collaboration is my middle name. I know how to work with others, I know how to get the job done. What I don't know how to do is tell someone they are not working well as part as a collaborative team.

Here is the deal, the vocal director I am working with has scheduled last minute rehearsals for his choir tour on days I have drama activities planned (activities that have been on the schedule for a long time). He expects me to just let the kids go, he gives them guilt because they aren't making choir their lives. I had a student tell me he was told that they leave for tour in two weeks when he told the choir director he couldn't make a rehearsal because he was at the drama competition.

How do you deal with someone like that? I like the man, I don't want to be rude, but he is scheduling things last minute with things I have had on the calendar for weeks, in some cases months.

This Saturday I am building my set. If I let all the kids go to choir practice I will have a very limited number of kids helping build (which now that I think about it might not be a bad thing). I am just tired of everyone saying..."Ms. P will let us go," "Rachael will work it out, go ahead and use the theatre," "It's just drama."

I want my program to be priority for a change!

No comments: