Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I am such a wuss...

As you all know I have been having some issues with my Vocal Director (VD). He isn't as commited to this year's musical as I would like him to be. And now on top of that I have the issue of him wanting to do a show that I am not at all interested in doing, he has already talked to kids about doing it, as precasted several roles in his head, and doesn't seem at all willing to look at other shows with me to pick something we will both like.

So, being the wuss that I am I went to my principal. Not to tattle, but to ask for advice in how to talk to the VD about this without causing stress. Because let me tell you, every time I have mentioned to him that the kids don't know the music or that I feel stress from the show because of the music, things get very tense (to the point where one kid came up to me and asked if I had said something to the VD about the music because he seemed mad).

It feels like there is always something else going on that takes priority over the musical, I don't expect it to be his life, but could he at least be aware of the rehearsal schedule and try to work around that. That's what I do, but then again I make the schedule so that's a different story.

Anyway, back to my point (did I have one?)...I talked to the principal (who loves me) and asked if he had any suggestions on how to deal with this. I like the VD, he is a great guy. But, the musical is not another venue for his chamber singers (he told them that they are they only reason he does the musical and if they weren't going to audition then why was he doing it). The principal said he would talk to him if I wanted him to, I said I don't know. I don't want to make things worse or seem like a baby. I love my job, I want to do a good job at it. I don't want to make my job miserable by the VD feeling like I had to go over his head to get my way. It's not my way I want...I want us to work together so we can both enjoy working on the musical.

ARGH!!!!! Any suggestions on how to approach someone you respect about something you drastically disagree on and is really important to you? Help please!

No comments: