Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Things People Do...

Okay, now people, I think we all need to get over ourselves and just let others be who they are. I recently read a post on another board about someone not buying furniture from a company because they sponor the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy show. And my first that was...WHAT? I think there are alot more damaging things these people could be boycotting than a company that sponsors a show that helps straight men find a bit of style, it's not a conversion show!

On the same note, I ran into to an email on the evils of Harry Potter! It's just a book people, and a pretty good book at that. JK Rowling is not trying to convert people to the "Dark Side." It's fiction. What is funny about this one, these people haven't even read the book. Okay, if you read the book and you don't like it, it's not your style, taste or whatever, fine...but don't slam what you know nothing about.

Now, something I have noticed is that the people who tend to do this the most...extreme right wing religous folk. Okay, I admit it, I have more a Republican/conservative bent (don't tell the teaching or theatre communities, I'd be laughed out), but I keep it in check. I don't fly off the handle when it comes to having an open mind about things I don't agree with. I don't even do much Emotional slamming (that is what Larry Elder and I loving call the democrats), even when I know how WRONG they are. Each to their own.

So, what is my point here...GET OVER YOURSELVES. Just because you don't agree with it, if you like the table at the place that sponsors the Queer Eye show, buy the gosh darn table, it's a table for goodness sake. It isn't a reflection of your personal beliefs. If you want to boycot something boycott ignorance, stupidity and intollerance.

No comments: