Thursday, December 14, 2006

shows, shows and more shows



So, I told you I was in New York. That I love New York. Well, here is one of the big reasons why...



THEATRE!
There is so much to see. I was lucky enough to get to see four shows while I was in
town.


1. Spamalot - what a fun show. I really wish I had been able to get tickets sooner. Seeing Tim Cury as King Arthur would have just been too much. If you're a Monty Python fan this show is a must.






2. Regrets Only - this was the MTC show that we saw. It was mildly entertaining. Really reminded me of the first season of Will and Grace, you know when they just went for the really funny one-liners but the rest of the script sucked. If you have seen A Day Without A Mexican you can pretty much understand this play, only it's done with gays taking the day off. I would only recommend this if you got free tickets.



3. Suddenly Last Summer - This is probably my second favorite Tennessee Williams play (the first...Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). One of the other teachers and I were able to snag tickets to this sold out show. I am so glad I did. I always forget how powerful this show is. Not to mention Blyth Danner was amazing.



4. Evil Dead, the musical - yes, you read that right. What a fun show! For a campy, off-broadway production it was really well done. The music is fun and it had some really cool special effects. I have never seen so much stage blood in my life! The first three rows of the theatre are called the "splatter zone". This is because as the demons get killed they squirt and splatter the audience with all the blood they can. Ah, good (not s0) clean fun. If you can catch this one, do. You will laugh...alot.


So, there is the recap of my theatre adventures. I was actually surprised I saw so much. When I was making my show plans, there really wasn't anything I was needing to see...Almost four hundred dollars later, I've seen four new shows.


Man, I love theatre!

Note: I upgraded to the blogger beta, I HATE the new dashboard...TOO much stuff!

1 comment:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Fun to read about the plays you saw..."Regrets Only" Is that the Paul Rudnick play?
I have not heard aboit the last show...It sounds like funny but somewhat messy! (lol)