Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Perils of Home Ownership...

I love my house, everybody I know loves my house. It is just a really cute house. Now, I hate my garage door opener. Since I moved in almost 4 years ago I have had minor issues with it, sometimes the sensors don't work and it won't close, so I have to get out of the car and futz with them . But for the most part that was the worst of it...that is until about a year and a half ago. The first time I had to call people out the big spring thing broke, the second time the cable broke on one side and the door jumped the tracks with it half way open. Today, the cable has jumped the pully and has left the door partway open.

I normally would have been frustrated by this, but not too upset. But this happened as I was getting ready to leave to get my hair cut! And every woman knows how important that appointment is.

Like the adult I am I called the home warranty people to have the door company sent out, and the woman tells me that the company will get back to me in 24 hours....WHOA!!! I say, I can't be traped at my house for 24 hours, I don't want to be traped at my house at all. And I am only really traped because the garage door won't close all the way (I have a thing about leaving access to my home open - even if it is just the garage). So, in my most controlled voice, because I want pull this woman through the phone line, I ask if I can call the garage people myself, she seems put out by this and tells me I have to wait an hour to make sure they get the work order. Now, how is my not wanting to be traped in my home an inconvience to her? She doesn't have to call them, she isn't stuck in her house waiting for the garage people.

So, in another 40 minutes I will make the call to the garage people and ask them to please come save me. I was planning on spending the day at home, other than the hair cut, but I want it to be my plan, not the garage door's plan. I may just buy a new opener today, just what I wanted to do...buy a new garage door opener...I would much rather buy shoes. I will explain to them, they at least have to come and get the door open so I can get my car out and then get it shut so I can leave, even if they can't completely fix the problem today.

I really wanted to get my hair done!!!!

No comments: