Saturday, September 15, 2007

remembering what it is all about...

After a 9 1/2 year battle with breast cancer a dear friend has passed. It is so very sad, we got the email on Monday. D was only 44. She is just one of the many, many reasons I am so commited to the breast cancer cause.

She and her husband, K, where the perfect couple. He even went as far as selling his share in the company he helped start when they were told they should get their affairs in order because treatment wasn't working. He wanted to spend all the time he could with D. They were fun, enjoyed not only each others company but brought so many people into that loving circle.

D offered me so much hope and support when my mom was diagnosed and going through treatment. At that point D had finished her second fight with cancer. She remained strong through all three of battles.

This last time the doctors had discovered cancer in her chest cavity. She had gone in when she just didn't feel right after one of her workouts (she was a tri-athelet). She never gave up, even when they told her treatment wasn't working. She continued treatment until it was just making her too sick to enjoy her life. At that point she decided to stop treatment and have a quality of life with her husband and two children (the youngest is a junior in college). They took wonderful trips and really enjoyed each other while they had the time.

The last time I saw D was in June at a wedding. She looked great and we talked about seeing each other at my wedding and her wanting to meet my mom because she knew her story. They missed the wedding because D wasn't doing well. I never got a chance to visit with her again.

I am sad that I didn't get to know her better. I am glad I had the opportunity to get to know her as well as I did. She really is an inspiration for me, to remember to not give up no matter how bad it gets, to love those around me with my full heart and let those people know I love them.

I guess the point I really want to get across is let those you love know that you love them. Love them like there is no tomorrow, because there might not be.

Please keep K and the kids in your thoughts and prayers as they say formal goodbyes at the funeral tomorrow. Pray that they remember the good times and put the bad behind them.

And to you, my bloggy friends, I love you and send you all good thoughts and wishes.

No comments: